ABOUT A.W.T. PROGRAM
ADVANCED WINE TASTING (A.W.T.)
- 1. Must hold a basic credential (LAW School, Sommelier Level 1, Som level 2, Other)
- 2. We taste the best wines each week blind
- 3. We explore regions and concepts in depth
Are you a wine beginner?
Try our program called Wine Camp - a basic foundation course but also good as a train the trainer program.
Are you a passionate professional or consumer?
Try our program LAW SCHOOL - LearnAboutWine School - 4-week credential program promising “world wine competency” - Celebrating 1,000 graduates in Los Angeles County
Are you advanced? Are you a working wine professional with experience? Or someone with a credential that is looking for what is next? Or do you love to taste and learn on a weekly basis - and want to surround yourself with wine elite to learn and enjoy the experience with… well this program might be for you.
INTENSIVE 5-WEEK AWT PREP COURSE
- 5-weeks of tasting and in class instruction and tasting
- Removing all exam fees - allowing students to sign up again and again.
- Includes 5-weeks of guided tastings and educational seminars
- Can work with those applying for CSW - Adcanced sommelier and Level 2 or 3 Sommelier testing - as well as 1st year Master of Wine.
There is a considerable amount of out of class study, and a significant wine purchasing assignment for homework. Each student is ask to purchase approx. 4-8bottles of authentic/typical quality (ultra-premium) wine to be tasted during the program and shared with all students (total additional investment approximately $300-$400). Each student will be asked to discuss the wine production of each bottle of wine, and to tell a quick summation about the producer and the vintage presented. We will try to assign bottles that are not commonly purchased and the exercise is in place to educate you on unique varietals, typicality, sense of place, and advanced production techniques.
Questions will be pulled from the textbook. Wine tasting exploration will be accomplished through blind tasting and varietal comparison each week.
CLICK TO VIEW CLASSES
*Program is 5- weeks long
This program involves homework and study review, and in class tasting. Tasting because it gives you the experience you need with the great wines of the world to succeed at answering the questions.
Being a great taster however, does not guarantee your success on this exam… it only gives you the resume and experience you need to progress and to put the questions and reading material in context. Successful candidates have used a variety of tools to pass the exam - including the Society’s website, the books and materials, and the society’s phone based apps, and on line programs.
This program compliments a successful approach - it does not replace it.
- All students are asked to bring a favorite “Blind” white and red wine (BOTH BLIND)
- Introduction & Welcome along with Homework Assignments
- Tasting, Chemistry, and Flaws
- Homework - Wine Purchase assignment due in class
- Viticulture and Viniculture - Discussion
- Study of French wine
- Blind assisgnement #2
- Homework paper number 2 - Italy and Spain
- Blind assisgnement #3
- Quiz - In class
- Take home assignement and bottle shopping
- Blind wine quiz
- Homework due